News

In Monaco, a Grand Prix Tradition Is Revived on the Pitch

App.author_image
by Andrew Shelepnytsky Contributor
May 19, 2026
In Monaco, a Grand Prix Tradition Is Revived on the Pitch

In the high-stakes ecosystem of international motorsport, the prelude to the Monaco Grand Prix has long been defined by a distinct synthesis of athletic prestige and philanthropic purpose. On Wednesday, June 3, at 3:30 p.m., that tradition will deepen at Stade Louis II with the second edition of the Racing Stars Football Cup.

The gala match, which functions as the official curtain-raiser for the Principality's Grand Prix week, pairs the Monaco-based Barbagiuans against the Nazionale Piloti. While the fixture boasts a lineage spanning more than 30 years, its modern iteration was revived last year under the stewardship of Louis Ducruet, the president of the Barbagiuans. The inaugural event drew substantial crowds, establishing a template that blends competitive sportsmanship with international celebrity.

"The 2026 edition we are preparing aims to be even more ambitious, with an exceptional line-up," Mr. Ducruet said, noting that the expansion of the squad reflects the organization's core institutional values of solidarity and community engagement.

The structural backbone of the event relies heavily on the intersection of distinct sporting disciplines. For the 2026 iteration, the Racing Stars Football Cup has named Jacky Ickx - the decorated Formula 1 driver and multiple winner of the 24 Hours of Le Mans - as its official ambassador. Mr. Ickx succeeds the 2025 ambassador, the double Formula 1 world champion Mika Häkkinen.

"What is beautiful is using energy, talent and passion in support of positive causes," Mr. Ickx said. "Everything that contributes to Monaco’s international prestige has always touched me deeply."

The roster for the Nazionale Piloti, intent on reversing a 6-4 defeat from last year’s match, will feature racing drivers Carlos Sainz, Pierre Gasly, Luke Browning, and Oliver Goethe, alongside veteran Italian central defender and Juventus legend Leonardo Bonucci.

They will face a highly eclectic Barbagiuans lineup. Led by Mr. Ducruet, the squad includes former professional footballers Ludovic Giuly and Flavio Roma, as well as an array of cultural figures, including the French media personalities Paul Mirabel, Paul de Saint Sernin, and Nikos Aliagas, content creator Tibo InShape, model Baptiste Giabiconi, and DJ Yann Muller.

The primary sporting draw of the afternoon, however, centers on the participation of the Brazilian football icon Ronaldinho. The 2005 Ballon d’Or winner and 2002 World Cup champion has formally joined the Barbagiuans roster for the match.

"Receiving this invitation was an immense joy," Ronaldinho said, citing his personal affinity for Formula 1 as a key factor in his decision to participate. "It will be an honor to take part in a celebration where we truly contribute to a greater cause."

The competitive spectacle serves a strict charitable mandate, with proceeds directed toward two global health organizations. The first beneficiary, Mercy Ships, operates hospital vessels - specifically the Africa Mercy and the Global Mercy - to provide free surgical care to populations in developing nations. The second, Les Soins de l’Espoir, finances pediatric surgeries and healthcare infrastructure in Southeast Asia, with a specific focus on treating congenital heart disease in Vietnam.

For the organizers, the presence of an athlete of Ronaldinho's global stature marks a critical maturation point for the event. "The Barbagiuans have always been a human adventure built on passion," Mr. Ducruet said. "But welcoming such a universal legend represents a new stage in our development."


author_image

Andrew Shelepnytsky

Contributor

Andrew Shelepnytsky is the Vice President of International Business Development at The Monegasque™ Magazine, where he spearheads global partnerships. He serves as the host of The Monegasque™ Podcast and is a Partner at FC Barbagiuans, the football club of H.S.H. Prince Albert II of Monaco. A dedicated Ambassador for Peace for the Universal Peace Federation. Andrew serves as a contributing writer for Monaco Voice.

The views and opinions expressed herein are the views and opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of MonacoVoice™

Disclosure: Monaco Voice enhances the editing process with the help of carefully selected AI tools. These tools provide valuable support without taking over the editing process completely, ensuring that the final product is the result of human creativity and expertise augmented by the benefits of enhanced technology. This article is protected under the copyright of Monaco Voice. Unauthorized reprinting, republishing, or rewriting of this content is strictly prohibited without explicit permission from Monaco Voice. Quotations from this material are permissible provided that a direct link to the full article on Monaco Voice is included.