Installation in the Chapel of Mercy of the Gonfalon of the White Penitents

December 19, 2022
Installation in the Chapel of Mercy of the Gonfalon of the White Penitents

An emblematic work of the Principality's historical and religious heritage, the Gonfalon des White Penitents, has just been permanently installed in the Chapel of Mercy.
The state of conservation of this processional banner had indeed required restoration complete started in 2019.


The work, more than 2m high, painted in oil on both sides, is made of crimson damask edged in gold. It offers on one side a Pietà of Saint Nicolas and Saint Devote and on the other, the birth of the Virgin surrounded by Saint Nicolas and Saint Dévote.


The first written mention of the gonfalon dates from November 21, 1640. Presented on the occasion of a religious event, it was made in Genoa by an unknown artist at the request of Madame Luisa Trivultia Cagliente, wife of Commander Cagliente, in charge of the garrison of Monaco until 1641. Its dual nature required the implementation of a specific mobile device allowing visitors to admire both sides of this remarkable coin.


This work has been restored as part of the restoration policy carried out by the Direction Cultural Affairs of Monaco through the missions of the Heritage Institute. The work was carried out by the La Réserve workshop, which set up a team for the occasion.
 

Disclosure: Monaco Voice enhances the editing process with the help of carefully selected AI tools. These tools provide valuable support without taking over the editing process completely, ensuring that the final product is the result of human creativity and expertise augmented by the benefits of enhanced technology. This article is protected under the copyright of Monaco Voice. Unauthorized reprinting, republishing, or rewriting of this content is strictly prohibited without explicit permission from Monaco Voice. Quotations from this material are permissible provided that a direct link to the full article on Monaco Voice is included.